Export & Import Bookmarks
Exporting and importing bookmarks is extremely handy if you want to share your bookmarks with someone or if you want to transfer bookmarks from one computer or browser to another. It’s also extremely easy to do and only takes a few steps.
Here we will export all bookmarks in the
Bookmark Manager as an
- Open Microsoft Edge on your PC, and click the
Favoritesbutton on the top-right-hand side of the screen. Alternatively, navigate to
Favoritesby using the keyboard shortcut
CTRL+SHIFT+Oon Windows & Linux or
- You should see all your bookmark favorites displayed. Click the three-dot button on the right-hand side of the
- On the drop-down, select
- Select a destination for the
HTMLfile on your computer. You can rename the file here too if you prefer and save your bookmarks.
That’s all there is to it! You’ve exported your bookmarks as an
HTML file to your PC.
Importing bookmarks is just as easy as exporting!
- If you want to import bookmarks, then follow steps 1-3 above. Then, click
Import Favoritesfrom the drop-down
- On the
Import browser datamenu, select
Favorites or Bookmarks HTML filein the first drop-down menu.
- In the next prompt, click
Choose a file, and you’ll be directed to select the
HTMLfile to import.
- Choose the
HTMLfile containing your bookmarks from your PC to import, and click
Limits of Exporting & Importing
While exporting and importing is a good way of solving some issues, this method certainly has its limits.
If you’re sharing your bookmarks with someone, you might need to export your bookmarks multiple times if there are important changes that you need to share. If you are exporting your bookmarks from one computer or browser to another, you will need to export all your bookmarks, not just the ones you might need.
There is a solution to these export-import limits, we recommend Bookmark Llama for transferring and sharing bookmarks.
Bookmark Llama will allow you to have access to any shared bookmark folder on any device or browser session as long as you’re logged into the extension.
Primarily, Bookmark Llama was created to share bookmarks so if you want to share a bookmark folder with someone, they will have access to the latest version of that bookmark folder, and any changes will sync instantly.
- Install the Microsoft Edge extension if you’re using Edge, and create an account.
- Set up your account by answering a couple of questions, such as whether you would like to set up a completely new account or join an existing team.
- Once you set up your account, select which bookmark folder you’d like to share, then click
Share Folder. Depending on your use case, you can also create an entirely new folder.
- Then you can share your folder, just add your recipients' email addresses, click
Share Folder, and they’ll be sent an invite. If you just want to transfer your bookmark folder from one computer or browser to another, you can also “Skip Invites”.
And…that’s it! You won’t need to make any changes to your usual bookmark flow. You can add, remove and rename bookmarks directly in your browser and your shared folder will be synced through Bookmark Llama. It’s that easy.
Bookmark Llama is available on Edge, Chrome and Firefox. Happy Sharing 😊